Friday, December 16, 2011

Booty Barre Class Review

I mentioned a while back that I wanted to try a Booty Barre class - well, today was the day! I tagged along with my good friend Clare to one of her regular classes and she showed me the ropes. 

Booty Barre is described as a combination of cardio, ballet, yoga and pilates and it did not disappoint. It was a great mix of upper and lower body work and we used a variety of props (a ballet bar, a Bosu balance ball, a playground ball, a mat and hand weights) throughout the hour long class that kept things fun. My favorite move was called "Ride the Stallion" and yes I giggled in class but who wouldn't with a name like that (you know you would too!).

Besides the variety, the class is physically challenging. Thinking it wouldn't be that challenging going in, I decided to do a quick 2-mile run as I had a bit of time before the class started. Well, it was a good thing I only had time for 2 miles because anything more and I may not have finished the class. It was exhausting - it definitely worked my booty and then some. At one point I thought my arms would fall off but I just told myself that it was worth it and I sucked it up.

Anyone who has done a bit of ballet or gymnastics in their past will particularly love these classes. It works all those little muscles in your hips and glute area that are so often neglected. What I loved best of all was the variety in the class that will help tighten and tone your overall body. Although I felt like an uncoordinated teenager at times, I will definitely be back.  And I know I'll get better (and stronger) with time.

Don't be shy, try a class! You can find one in your area here.

4 comments:

  1. we have a couple offered in our area and i have yet to try but it sounds interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely should! I am so sore today but in a good way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I missed it (but thanks for the text!) Now I REALLY want to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost went to this class! I'm definitely going to have to try it once I get back from SoCal.

    Niki

    ReplyDelete