Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Protein Packed Smoothie


When I was training for Ironman distance races, this smoothie was one of my favorite post long training day "snacks." Of course, after a long day of training I could call it a "snack" and quickly inhale whatever else was around. These days I like to have it in the morning as breakfast so that I can sip it as I run around after my two little wiggly girls and somehow get them dressed and out the door before I go crazy.

The best part about this smoothie is that it fills me up and keeps me satisfied so I don't have a mid-morning snack attack. I don't usually measure out the ingredients as I've made them for so many years but you can vary the ingredients depending on how thick you like your smoothies.




Ingredients: (1 serving)
Blend the following ingredients until smooth in either a large blender or my preference, the Rocket Blender which is a much easier clean-up.
1 ripe banana
1/3 -1/2 cup of non-fat or low-fat plain yogurt* (you can use vanilla if you want it to taste a bit sweeter)
1/2 cup cut fresh strawberries (use whatever berries are in season or simply increase the amount of frozen berries below)
1/3 cup of frozen mixed organic berries
1 scoop of whey protein powder (I currently use biPro because it's sugar free, unflavored, contains no bulking agents and blends great)
1/4-1/3 cup of unsweetened almond or soy milk
optional:
1/4 teaspoon of organic blue agave syrup (if the fruit isn't quite sweet enough, this syrup is better to use than sugar - if you can't find it at your local grocery store, it can be found here)



* I like to alternate between regular yogurt and greek yogurt because when comparing the two per serving, regular yogurt contains more calcium and greek contains more protein.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy! I'm going to have to try this. Where can we get blue agave in town?
    Niki

    ReplyDelete