Monday, May 7, 2012

A Summer Must-Have

A summer must-have is a good sunscreen. My years of long training runs and rides while being fair-skinned have finally caught up with me. After a biopsy, I got the bad news: basal-cell carcinoma. Gulp. While it is the most common type of skin cancer and the vast majority of cases are successfully treated, it is a serious wake-up call at such a young age.

As a mother, I immediately thought of my two daughters and how they have an increased risk now that I've been diagnosed. Of course, I wanted to find the safest, most effective sunscreen for them. Alarmingly, it is uncertain whether the chemicals in many sunscreens are even safe (some might actually increase your risk of cancer and can also affect estrogen levels which can interfere with normal sexual development). Read this informative article here for more on that. Also, if you are unsure about your current sunscreen, check out the EWG (Environmental Working Group) site here to see how it's ranked.

I've tried many of the natural sunscreens but always hated the sticky feeling and the pasty white look it left.  However I finally found a few that I love so I thought I'd share.

Josie Maran's Daily Sun Protection (for face &/or for body- These are my favorite products because they are natural, blend in easily and contain Argan oil which is supposed to have amazing skin protection benefits. It works great under makeup and has replaced my daily face moisturizer which had a laundry list of ingredients and wasn't protecting my skin from the sun as well as this product does. (Find it on above links or here)


Elta MD UV Daily & UV Clear - It's lightweight, blends in beautifully and also works great under makeup. I like to use this for my face when I'm exercising because it allows my skin to breathe and doesn't turn my skin grey (titanium dioxide turns grey when mixed with sweat) as some products will do. (The UV Clear version works great for those with acne-prone skin) (Find it here or here)


Episencial Sunny Sunscreen - If you want something a bit cheaper, this sunscreen works well on your entire body for both you and your kids. It goes on smooth, takes little effort to rub in and does not leave a greasy, sticky feeling. I wouldn't use it daily as my face moisturizer as it's a bit thick and it did leave me with a grey-ish hue after running with it on but for everyday outdoor activities it works great. (Find it here or here.)


While I've seen a few cheaper natural sunscreens by big name brands at the stores lately, I haven't found any that have the same percent of protection that these offer nor do they blend in as well. Needless to say, my two little gals will be covered from head to toe in these sunscreens this summer. 

Hope you have a sunburn free summer!

6 comments:

  1. Great information Jamima! I will be switching, our normal sunscreen was not ranked that well on the EWG site. Scary stuff. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you checked, my original ones weren't either including my daily face moisturizer, yikes!

      Delete
  2. Soooo helpful! My sunscreen ranked way too high for my comfort... guess it's time to switch! Thankful to find this before our little one arrives :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad and SO excited for your little one to arrive!

      Delete
  3. Still referring to this helpful post! I love the EWG site - thanks for linking it! I tried the EltaMD Clear and I loved how it looked and felt but it was too drying. Amazon reviews indicate the Daily one might be too drying for me too. But I'm checking out EWG to find my next brand to try! Thanks Coach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kendra! I agree and tend to only use the EltaMD Clear on longer training runs/rides now. Happy training!

      Delete