Friday, April 12, 2013

Fit Friday: Swim Workout

I'm back in the pool! I never thought it would happen again when I quit triathlons back in 2007 but I'm enjoying myself and it feels good. Who knows maybe I'll actually compete in a triathlon this season. :) Anyways, we've got a small group meeting at the pool a couple of days a week to help motivate each other and we've been sharing workouts. My friends son is swimming on the local high school team and he's been assigning her some of their brutal sets (he writes them up for her and tells her what she should swim that day - what a cool kid!). We edit the workouts for a more reasonable distance (9,000 yard workouts are not my cup of tea) and I thought I'd share one for any of you getting ready for triathlon season or just wanting a good swim workout.




Warm Up 300-500 yards choice

8 x 75 yards freestyle w' middle 25 drill

4 - 6 x (3 minute swim freestyle, 2 minute swim freestyle, 1 minute swim freestyle)
(Find a distance you can swim within the time limit that allows you a bit of rest in between ~ 5-20 sec, for example, a 175 yards for the 3 min. swim, 125 for the 2 min. swim and a 75 yard swim for 1 min.) 
Take an additional 30 second rest between each set after the 1 minute swim.

4 x 100 yard freestyle building each lap from slow to fast
Take 10 seconds rest in between.

Cool down 200 yards choice

Total yards: 3,000 - 4,400

Have a great workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment