Thursday, May 30, 2013

A box of cereal can make your day.

It's true, buying a box of cereal can make your day and someone else's too.

With all the bad things that have happened recently (Boston Marathon bombing, the Cleveland kidnappings, etc.) I had been feeling pretty bad about this world and had to stop watching the news for a few days because I literally couldn't stop thinking about all the innocent people that were affected. Soon after, I read an article somewhere about a blogger that had started doing random nice things for strangers as a way to spread some positivity.

So, I decided a few weeks ago that I would start to do some unexpected nice things for total strangers too. Why not? It reminds myself and others that there are good people in this world. And that those people can be total strangers. The first thing I did was pay for someone's Starbucks behind me in the drive thru line and it felt great even though they hadn't even seen my face.

Just today I was at my local grocery store and noticed a young woman (a college student as far as I could tell) in line behind me with only a box of cereal. I remember being a college student and not having a lot of extra cash for food at times. Pay it forward right? So I told the checker to add her cereal to my bill.

The young woman was of course very surprised and kept thanking me and said yes, she was indeed a college student. Even the checker was a bit shocked as he started to pack the cereal into my grocery bags and then realized what he was doing. For only about $3.50, I'm sure both the student and the checker will remember this small act of kindness and hopefully do something nice for someone else as well.

Of course there are so many other ways to show random acts of kindness and they don't have to involve money at all. What will you do this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment